
Every year Jake and I host a Christmas party for a fun group of friends. It's an adult party and we exchange white elephant gifts. This is the 4th year its been going on. I hope this Christmas tradition never ends. I make a big dinner and cocktails and everybody brings something to share. This year we had about 25 people.
I made a couple of roasts, a tri-tip, Jake and Daniel fried a turkey, we had rolls, green beans, mashed potatoes, and an amazing salad... thanks to Mark. I attempted a signature cocktail without trying it first... it was horrible. I made peppermintini's from a recipe off the Internet. BIG MISTAKE! After trying a couple of them, we knew they were not going to work out... so, we added some delicious chocolate syrup to them and VIOLA... they were fabulous! But we had to change the name to MOCHA MINTINI! They were so cute and festive with crushed candy cane around the rim and a mini cane for garnish... I wish they tasted as good as they looked.
So, the party was supposed to start at 7:00... it didn't. I should have known to tell everybody an hour early, because I think some of the goods got cold. It was a success nonetheless.
As people started trickling in, conversations were going on all around. One particular conversation stands out to me. I was talking to Jake's (and now my) cousin, Jenny Butterfield. and here's how it went:
Jenny: "There is a surprise coming"
Me: "who? You have to tell me." I am so dumb and didn't realize what I had just said, so then I said this... "Oh my gosh, it's Jason, Is Jason coming?"
Jenny: "No, that would be so awesome though. I wish he was coming.... it's someone else but I am not going to tell you" Note: she said this with the saddest look on her face... I was convinced it WAS NOT JASON.
Me: "Please, Just tell me" "Jenny, I thought it was Jason and I almost pooped my pants" "Now, you have to tell me."
Jenny: "I am not telling, you will just have to wait. "
Annie: "Ok, you don't have to tell me" ... as I reluctantly changed the subject and forgot about the whole thing.
About 20 minutes passed and I was busy doing who knows what when in walks the surprise....
I screamed... I didn't know what else to do. He was not supposed to be here. He was in Kansas and leaving for Afghanistan in 2 days. WHAT IS GOING ON? Jenny Lied... I am mad! Not really... but that was the BEST SURPRISE EVER!
We all had the greatest time. I didn't make it to bed until 6 am. WOW! I am still tired.
We ate dinner and cleaned up a bit and sat down to exchange white elephant gifts. I was soooo excited because I had been planning mine for 3 weeks. It was amazing. I had made a poster size picture of Jake on Halloween in his speedo. Funniest thing ever. Jake gave Jason a going away "dance" and that was the highlight of the night. It may show up on youtube... you never know. Jeff professed his love to his "best friends" and we all cried for Jason.

This was one of the better nights we have had... and we have a lot of great nights with this group of friends. It almost seems not real.
I made a couple of roasts, a tri-tip, Jake and Daniel fried a turkey, we had rolls, green beans, mashed potatoes, and an amazing salad... thanks to Mark. I attempted a signature cocktail without trying it first... it was horrible. I made peppermintini's from a recipe off the Internet. BIG MISTAKE! After trying a couple of them, we knew they were not going to work out... so, we added some delicious chocolate syrup to them and VIOLA... they were fabulous! But we had to change the name to MOCHA MINTINI! They were so cute and festive with crushed candy cane around the rim and a mini cane for garnish... I wish they tasted as good as they looked.
So, the party was supposed to start at 7:00... it didn't. I should have known to tell everybody an hour early, because I think some of the goods got cold. It was a success nonetheless.
As people started trickling in, conversations were going on all around. One particular conversation stands out to me. I was talking to Jake's (and now my) cousin, Jenny Butterfield. and here's how it went:
Jenny: "There is a surprise coming"
Me: "who? You have to tell me." I am so dumb and didn't realize what I had just said, so then I said this... "Oh my gosh, it's Jason, Is Jason coming?"
Jenny: "No, that would be so awesome though. I wish he was coming.... it's someone else but I am not going to tell you" Note: she said this with the saddest look on her face... I was convinced it WAS NOT JASON.
Me: "Please, Just tell me" "Jenny, I thought it was Jason and I almost pooped my pants" "Now, you have to tell me."
Jenny: "I am not telling, you will just have to wait. "
Annie: "Ok, you don't have to tell me" ... as I reluctantly changed the subject and forgot about the whole thing.
About 20 minutes passed and I was busy doing who knows what when in walks the surprise....
Jason was here!
I screamed... I didn't know what else to do. He was not supposed to be here. He was in Kansas and leaving for Afghanistan in 2 days. WHAT IS GOING ON? Jenny Lied... I am mad! Not really... but that was the BEST SURPRISE EVER!
We all had the greatest time. I didn't make it to bed until 6 am. WOW! I am still tired.
We ate dinner and cleaned up a bit and sat down to exchange white elephant gifts. I was soooo excited because I had been planning mine for 3 weeks. It was amazing. I had made a poster size picture of Jake on Halloween in his speedo. Funniest thing ever. Jake gave Jason a going away "dance" and that was the highlight of the night. It may show up on youtube... you never know. Jeff professed his love to his "best friends" and we all cried for Jason.
This was one of the better nights we have had... and we have a lot of great nights with this group of friends. It almost seems not real.
I don't have my camera at the moment but will post pics when I get it back. Can't wait.




That sounds like so much fun!! I wish I could have seen Jake's dance! LOL! I'll be watching youtube for it! ;) All those guys are so funny!!
ReplyDeleteJason was actually supposed to leave to afghanistan at 4 that day from kansas, ha ha instead he came home! YAY! Annie, i had soooo much fun at the party, ill never forget you screaming when we walked in! and ill for sure never forget Jakes dance! too bad the poster got stole from me LOL! love ya!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys had a GREAT time! I wish I could do parties like that, but I have so many friends and they're all from different groups, and they don't all know each other. I'm kinda jealous :) I think it's awesome that you have such a big group of fun friends. Hope you have Happy Holidays! Love ya!!
ReplyDeleteI think it is great that you had so much fun. I love Jake, he is hilarious. I'm so glad you got to see Jason one more time. He is such a good guy. He's lucky to have friends like you two.
ReplyDeletewhat a fun post! i ran into jason a while back but did't know he was going over there...are you the one who keeps his blog updated? what a sweet girl you are...nothing has changed there :-) hope all is well and you have a very merry christmas!
ReplyDeletethat looks cute! That night was so damn funny, i love that pic of Jeff! How was your christmas? im sending you more pics! love ya!
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures, you look like you had so much fun.
ReplyDelete